We have briefly explained some of the different options available to the community for those in need of some extra support.
Types of Support-LHIN, Live In, Private Care
LHIN funded Home Care
- Anyone can call the LHIN for an assessment to determine if they qualify for government funded home support services.
- A needs assessment may take one to weeks to be completed.
- The number of hours of service are limited and you will be advised as to the service available to you.
- There may be no continuity of caregiver.
Private Live-in Caregiver
- You must do your own hiring and screening of the caregiver.
- It is important that you are involved in the case management aspect to schedule staff.
- You are then considered to be an employer and as such are responsible to pay WSIB premiums and source remissions.
- If you decide not to pay remissions, you may still be held liable for any work related injuries.
- If the case is not closely managed, you may find that the caregiver and client relationship boundaries could crossed, and the client be at risk for exploitation.
Hiring a Health Care Agency
- Private agencies respond quickly to calls.
- Consultation to determine needs can be done on the same day or at a time that is convenient for you or your loved one.
- There is an individualized, personal care plan done, with the client and family input to ensure that your needs are met.
- Flexible scheduling to meet your needs.
- 3-24 hours of service a day for as long as the service is required.
- A caregiver can provide support in any care setting such as hospital, long term care, retirement home, assisted living or in home.
- Staff can transition with the client from setting to setting.
- Staff are bonded, insured, and certified with a thorough background check and references completed. Source deductions and WSIB are all in place through the agency.
FAMILIES CAN’T ALWAYS BE THERE, BUT WE CAN
Alert Best Nursing and Home Care