Have you ever wondered how some people manage to look ageless?
Well into their 80's they have a youthfulness that belies their age, and still participate in activities that younger adults enjoy.
There are many factors affecting how we age but aging well, without mental and physical stress on our bodies, is within the reach of us all. Through a few simple daily practices and preventive measures, we can experience our senior years with a quality of life rather than simply clinging to life.
Tips for aging successfully:
- Prevention: Many diseases in later life are preventable through even minor lifestyle changes, even for people with chronic disabilities.
- Nutrition: Nutrition is an important component of aging well, since it improves physical well-being while regulating stress and promotes social inclusion and participation.
- Physical activity: Physical activity reduces by about 50% the risk of many disorders related to inactivity, such as heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
- Mental health: Total health is not merely about the absence of infirmity or disease but a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being.
- Join a program: In Canada, the New Horizons for Seniors Program is designed to empower seniors, encouraging them to share their knowledge, skills and experience with others in the community and enhance their social well-being.
Public Services Health & Safety Assoc.