For many seniors, doctor’s visits are stressful. There are sometimes complex health issues that need to be addressed and your loved one is unsure where to start. You can use this checklist to help ease anxiety and ensure a smooth visit.
Arrange for transportation to and from prior to the appointment. If you are unable to attend, companion/PSW services can be arranged through Alert Best Nursing & Home Care to accompany your loved one.
Check if the appointment or associated tests require seniors to contact their insurance company ahead of time for pre-certification or other purposes. Check if fasting will be required or if there are certain foods your senior needs to avoid.
Pack everything needed for a successful appointment:
- Insurance cards
- Health Card
- Payment for co-pays or other charges
- Contact information for other doctors
- List of current medications
- List of allergies/medical conditions
- Medical records, if needed
- A list of questions for the doctor
- A notepad or device for note-taking
- If further testing or labs are required
- When new prescriptions should be picked up
- If there are instructions or treatment notes seniors can take home with them
- When follow-up appointments are scheduled
- If any payment is due